Halloween decorating each year is so fun, and this year I have kept it classic and simple with bats, crows, and a lot of black!
This post contains some affiliate links for you convenience. Click here to read my full disclosures policy.
My halloween decorating style changes each year and I have usually just stuck with a few ghosts here and there and maybe a skeleton or two but when my 8 year old told me this year he wanted to make our house scary, I wasn’t really sure where to start. When JOANN asked me to partner with them this holiday season and showcase their home decor products, I knew this was my opportunity to branch out and make my little ones scary halloween decorating dream come true! 😉
The goal was to make it scary enough that my son was happy with it, but I also still wanted to keep it classic and simple. JOANN’s Halloween decor this year made it so hard for me to not just throw it all in the cart, but I decided to go with lots of black, bats, and crows. Bats and crows really seem to be in this year, and I love it!
I can’t wait to show you what I came up with and also share a quick and easy DIY for making your own Halloween bats. Let’s start with the bats, since they are so fun and easy!
How to make bat cut-outs:
1) Gather your supplies – I only needed to purchase two things for this simple DIY. To make it easy I purchased a packet of foam bats from JOANN so I could trace the outline onto my cardstock. Some of you may have black cardstock laying around, but I didn’t so I needed to purchase a packet of black cardstock as well. Their selection of paper seems endless. Am I the only one that wants to take up scrapbooking every time I walk by their paper crafts?!
2) Trace your bats and cut them out – This brought back fun memories from elementary school where I could trace for days! Grab one of your foam bats, and start tracing the outline on your paper. Inside the packets of foam bats there is also a cardboard cutout that could be useful and little more sturdy to use when tracing. (I realized this after I already started tracing mine)! Once you have them traced just simply cut them out and you are ready to put these cut little things wherever you please!
I just added tape to the back of my bats, but you could cut out tiny holes in them, add string, and hang them which would be super cute. I put them inside a few cloches I had as well as stuck them in my entryway on some cheesecloth I had covering an old frame and it turned out really cute.
Look how cute they are flying beside the lanterns in my entryway! Speaking of cute and spooky 😉 lets check out some of the Halloween decorating finds I picked up from JOANN this year! This witch hat has to be one of my favorite finds this year and I love how it looks sitting on my vintage crock. Also check out this crow. I can’t decide if I think he is scary or cute?! I placed him on top of this little stand to give him a little more height and I thought it was the perfect place to showcase this little guy.
I also saw this flying broom and knew I had to have it! To decorate my entryway bench I decided to grab a cute little sequin BOO pillow and this little scary owl whose eyes seem follow me everywhere I go! My son grabbed this set of three skulls that light up and make noise. He says it’s to scare off the mailman. 🙂
Speaking of skulls, I made sure to add a few skulls to my mantle with some gray cheesecloth. I stacked a skull on top of these vintage chalk painted books and loved the creepy effect. The skulls jaws even move…creepy! I also picked up a couple of these purple vases which I thought could be used year round but they were in the Halloween decor section.
JOANN really pulled out all the stops this year with their Halloween decor and I was so excited to show you all of my spooky Halloween finds! Make sure to check out my full source list below to grab your own.
I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on my Classic and Simple Halloween Decorating! Here is a full source list:
- Maker’s Halloween Witch Hat
- Maker’s Halloween Critter Crow
- Little Maker’s Foam Bats
- White Cheese Cloth
- Gray Cheese Cloth
- The Boneyard Skull with Moveable Jaw
- Maker’s Halloween Large Vase, Maker’s Halloween Small Vase
- The Boneyard Stacked Skulls
- Maker’s Halloween Critter Owl
- Halloween Sequin Pillow Boo and Eek
- Flying Lessons by Appointments Only Broom
- Maker’s Halloween Lantern
- Halloween Glass Stand
I found all of these amazing products at JOANN!
This post contained some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosures policy.